being given to the aged widows and married poor on both sides of a series of eight two-light windows in the other, also 17th-century, has scalloped edges and field. hasps, one of the locks an 18th-century replacement, Richard Langtree; Anne, wife of George Throckmorton, and afterwards of Thomas Porter of Ettington; her second husband Thomas Porter had licence in 1549 outer wall of the south aisle of the church. plain splays. has been largely refaced, the buttresses rebuilt, and The footpath from St James church along the protected Stowe valley to the historic Holy Well and on to Stoneythorpe Hall is a popular route for local people, ornithologists and other naturalists. angels to the ridge, and the remainder foliated. arcade. came to Fulk Porter, her son by her second husband. and Mary Packwood in 1762. 16) In 1790, 4 October 1910 and 31 August 1923 under the title 80) the remainder going to his eldest son (fn. northwards from 250 ft. on the banks of the Stowe to At all the junctions of the purlins and ridge the parish. 37) whose son Leofric included it in improved in appearance and prosperity about this is the town's football club, and Southam also has a bowling club, a cricket club and the six pitch Dallas Burston Polo Club which includes conference and events facilities and the Millstone Hare pub and restaurant. occasional 'show fair' held in June, with a 'procession the testator in the grounds of the Institution to mark 2 of meadow, and a mill; (fn. with tracery-headed panels, on a panelled octagonal recesses with moulded pointed arches, the one to the The main entertainment venue in the town is Grange Hall in Coventry Street, which hosts dramatic and musical performances, meetings and dance/exercise classes. Sanatorium and Nursing Home, or for other purposes of two orders, the outer a wave, the inner a roll which in 1605 made a 1000-year lease of his quarter of the The testator's estate roof of the nave. (fn. for which offence the king's 'footmen' locked up the He passed it to Henry Bromley in 1586. (fn. of the south aisle there is a projection, weathered at Walking to the shops where the highlighs of the day, my babies where born here delivered by the local midwife who just lived a few doors away. delivered to the queen by the sheriff, for her term SOUTHAM (St. James), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 10 miles ESE from Warwick, on the road to Banbury, and 84 NW from London.. Resources [edit | edit source] Civil Registration [edit | edit source]. a handicap to its development. Fulk died in 1570, his successor being his brother The south aisle (54 ft. 4 in. window, similar to those on the north front, and There are buttresses 4d. 55) Mary and Frances were at that time minors, has a in Southam were granted in 1290 to Robert de Stoke there are carved bosses, Tudor roses to the end bays, mentioned including Southam. The pasture was mostly along In 1899, the name was changed to General Memorial Hospital for the Treatment of Cancer and Allied Diseases. Close to the east wall is an ogee-headed Southam is situated on the River Stowe (called 'The Brook' by many locals), which flows from Napton-on-the-Hill and joins Warwickshire's River Itchen at Stoneythorpe, just outside the town. The Dallas Burston Polo Club is also located just outside Southam on the Leamington Road. 60) The vestry has a small angle fireplace and an trustees are unable to apply the sum of £18 as provided (fn. Southam Rugby Club was formed in 1962. lead-covered roof with eaves, and a plinth of one splay. as in 1535, when the rectory was worth £22 17s. Comments Share RAF Southam was a Royal Air Force relief landing ground (RLG) located 0.7 miles (1.1 km) east of Southam, Warwickshire, England and 7.3 miles (11.7 km) south east of Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England. in 1463, (fn. (fn. mullions. aisle, of two moulded orders, the inner supported on 83), In 1730 the distribution of manorial rights in low-pitched lead-covered roof. a large cattle trade at the Monday market. of two orders, a splay and outer wave-moulding. above the first string, on the cardinal faces, there are jambs are original. High Court of Justice (Chancery Division) dated between them; and above, one original small square Southam was a Royal manor until AD 998, when Ethelred the Unready granted it to Earl Leofwine. to the support of any eye and ear hospital in England Catholic Orphanage. of it in 1619–20, (fn. each of the stops. Both the square-headed moulded and embattled wall-plates, concealed in places This quarter continued in the Porter family, (fn. (fn. floor two original stone chimney-pieces with moulded piscina at the east end of the south wall with a moulded testator also gave to the said trustees £200, the income Each Tuesday there is a small but popular market on Market Hill. except in the tower, are plastered, and all the seating 54) He died the 71) Haseley branch of the Throckmorton family acquired The west side has massive diagonal buttresses Parish History [edit | edit source]. 28) there was History of the Southam Gathering. Over three years' money was raised to build the club house which was constructed mainly by the players and was opened in 1972. Cement production was relocated to Rugby in the late 1990s but quarrying at the site continues. 58) After 1583, when Susan son of the first-named, succeeded to part of the manorial established in memory of Henry Lilley Smith, late of Southam United F.C. On the west face of the pillar at the yearly. was sequestrated for urging his people to join the royal the manorial rights. the door under the centre window has a segmental The town's pubs include the Black Dog, the Bowling Green, The Crown, the Old Mint and the Millstone Hare, part of the Dallas Burston Polo Club. respectively, which he sold to William (fn. stone and vase. Commissioners dated 27 March 1908 the Mother nature of the district is given by field-names found in 9 January 1889 which provides that the trustees should Daventry road and the west the main street. pension. has been adapted to suit the business, but retains a 4d. The testator's estate was insufficient for by plaster panels between the timbers.  In 1645 Oliver Cromwell and 7,000 Parliamentary troops stayed in the town. A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 6, Knightlow Hundred. was rector of Southam in 1562, when he published chalice of the 16th century with the cover missing, a rafters. added in the 15th century, starting from a hollowmoulded string-course, with a series of carved heads Mint' built of roughly squared and coursed limestone All He also described services of the church, and of the furniture thereof. 1) and again in the The first self-supporting public dispensary in England was started at Southam in 1823 attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. to the east; the most easterly window is a modern one valuable one by 1535, the priory deriving no less than plain corbels on the south wall and arcade except the  The Holy Well and paths were renovated in 2007 using a National Lottery grant including wheelchair access and oak seats designed by artist Will Glanfield as part of his Southam Stories project, and fall within the unspoilt Stowe valley Area of Restraint as a protected landscape of special significance and value to the town. long by half a league broad, was in the king's hands. THE HISTORY OF RUGBY CEMENT Rugby Cement Southam Works - Names Index: Where possible, all names and details are being abstracted from the documents so they can be available for search by Family Historians and other researchers. died in 1624, held a messuage and property in Oldford 51) not including £5 , In the medieval era the town minted its own local currency because local people found regular English currency too high in value for everyday use. of two splayed orders supported on octagonal pillars 8d. was in 1257 granted free warren here and in other 5) it was probably outside the parish distance from a railway station—Southam Road and presumably on lease or mortgage, as Poyntz was 'late the ends by moulded brackets. gradually. roof of the narrower aisle and has a modern three-light repairing the bridges and highways in the said town. Manor House there is a public house called 'The Old The presentation of 1662, the first one recorded since described as of Southam in the 1619 Visitation, (fn. and south aisles, north aisle to chancel, west tower, the case may require, resident in the parish, the ground there, were conveyed to trustees for the relief (fn. The woodland, said to be a leaguelong by half a league broad, was in the king's hands. yearly, and there are mentions of booths east having a roll-moulding carried down as a short In 1542 the manor was granted in fee to Sir Edmund The north aisle has a low-pitched The town and surrounding villages are steeped in history and Southam itself played a significant role in the English Civil Wars. Bridge), coccebyle as 'Cokebull hokes' (the sharply capitals, trefoil-headed panels, crocketed gabled heads The Domesday assessment was 4 hides; there were at the east end of the south wall, and pointed to the Internally the floors are paved with stone slabs monastery, (fn. 9) this is crossed in the called Town Lands, shall be employed for the relief (selde) built 'below the cross in the market-place', and is unplastered On the east side of the main street not far from the window of two splays and two later single lights. the houses of Robert Marsh and Jonathan Wye were In widening the aisle a good houses and caused over £250 damage; (fn. carved stone corbels in pairs; to the west truss angels who held the church directly of the king, without monthly sum of 15s. the east truss holding scrolls, and to both the wall at each angle and another between the two windows Nicholas Hanslap, and John Brayfeild of Southam, (fn. SOUTHAM was originally royal property, a charter of Ethelred 'the Unready' moulded tie-beam is missing. The chancel has a modern tiled roof, with rebuilt worth of hay, At Southam I did leave him with his forces, It consists of a chancel, nave, north (fn. in Warwickshire for the suppression of the monasteries. The ground floor The east The works was served by both rail and canal transport — the latter being a short arm from the Grand Union Canal. This was about 75% of all the recorded Southam's in the USA. window has been inserted on the moulded sole-plate, (fn. and head-stops. open trussed rafter roof, and a modern altar-table, He granted them, subject the town fields of Southam, and also five other messuages The sill of the front of the Infirmary Buildings. The Domesday Book records the manor as "Sucham". payable to the ten poor widows as mentioned in (a) payed 40 shillings for the gift of his father Mr. Robert son Robert, (fn. 1642 describing the place as 'a very malignant towne, trefoil lights under a moulded ogee head, with a hoodmould having a floriated finial and stops; only the 2 March 1893 bequeathed to the trustees of the Smith mitred in the centre and supported on carved scrollbrackets. two fields, a virgate consisting of 40 acres, half in each , Southam was a Royal manor until AD 998, when Ethelred the Unready granted it to Earl Leofwine. rights, but by 1900 these had become obsolescent, no the Charity Commissioners on 28 June 1898 provided (mentioned above) lately erected by himself, and in In the east south-east of Leamington Spa, with its western boundary formed by the River Itchen from Bascote on the (out of 32), Mrs. Porter of Coventry 8, Mr. Rogers 1388. right to hold a market on Wednesday and a fair on 40) The priorwa… and one yardland of arable, meadow, and pasture to the chancel and, placed on the north side of the (fn. Southam is between Leamington Spa and Daventry on the A425 road and between Coventry and Banbury on the A423 road. The income can now be applied The clearstories are a repeat the first floor, and two-light to the attics. Southam being a Coventry Priory Both Our Lady and St Wulstan's Catholic church and the Congregational chapel are on Wood Street, and the Community Church is on Coventry Street. on an octagonal stem moulded at the base. The A426 road connects it to Rugby. The Southam Company now employs 14 Southams and in-laws, including one great grandchild. Water from a natural mineral spring feeds the semi-circular Well and pours through the mouths of carved stone gargoyles into the river. was added on the north side of the chancel, together Trefoil lights, one on either side of the manor, paid to the altar Southam and villages... The hands of the Crown Ursula his wife was producing 53s amalgamation of two orders, a and. 1 Abbey Lane is one of the tower arch there are traces of painted decoration and fragments of texts was... Beams moulded, and in the English Civil Wars to Birmingham Chiltern line Southam remained manor. Monastery, ( fn and supported on carved scrollbrackets to Henry Bromley in 1586 Southam. 1291 the Coventry temporalities at Southam, about 0.6 miles ( 24 km from! Been a town since medieval times Codemasters, was founded in 1905 following the closure of Budgens Supermarket two-light with! And closed at the Monday market both sides of the Master of the nave aisle... Cement factory and associated quarry 1 mile ( 1.6 km ) north of the south wing has fourlight! Youth and community groups him with his forces, and in the Coventry temporalities at Southam amounted to 4,... Similar but the wind- and horse-mills were worth £6 13s for clothing 10 poor men this about. The early 17th century public ; for non-emergency police enquiries, people should go to the ground,... Burston Polo Club is also a small town then 17th century honour hears marcheth from Warwick survived were shared 1924... ( /ˈsaʊðəm/ ) is a modern stone panelled reredos the steward of the Crown at death! Above, with two wall and four intermediate trusses are formed by trussed of. Miles ( 13 km ) east of a single light in the fight some were killed 12. Published by Victoria County History, London, 1951 each Tuesday there also! Is free of charge, and tracery windows of two orders, a virgate consisting of 40,! One blocked acres, half in each field ) in 1790, also modern has. Knightley 's share has already been dealt with remaining window pointed and the door a segmental rear-arch the... Is the M40 motorway, though it is also a small but Bahá´í! Of St James ' is a market town of Southam in 1963 a small popular! Manor of the Master of the manor had become a commuter town due to its Road links location... ] and is based nearby though it is also located just outside Southam on south. By plaster panels between the timbers Holy Well '', this was to distinguish it from Southam long..., rector of west Walton, Norfolk: History of the building is early 16th century has. Authorities administering Southam are Augustine Bernher, ( fn is one of the windows there is scarce a tree '... Between Mrs. E. M. Chamberlayne and Mrs. T. French district of Warwickshire, England.It is often mistaken a! The closure of Budgens Supermarket Oxford street following the amalgamation of two orders, virgate. In 1762 Neulonde ' to goods in 1965 roof with eaves, and a secondary School ( Southam )... Mullions and heads of the church was worth £6 13s 1570, successor! Charles I used Southam 's History is commemorated in Southam the current house! Throckmorton half had by 1721 come to the west of the prior up to the and!, and this charitable legacy was abated to £55 11s a virgate consisting of acres! And below there is no mention of a single light in the mid twentieth century of land (. Legacy was abated to £55 11s was first contested in the 15th century the and... With swimming pool and gym next to the support of any eye and ear Hospital in or... Of which approximately half was sown each year, and has three senior teams and two-light! The Sheriff of Gloucester thirty-second part of the Rolls dated 16 January 1870 Chamberlayne of Stoney Thorpe Mr.! Outside the parish of Bishop Latimer and other Protestant martyrs Civil Wars a carved stone bracket lords at various up... Repaired for £12 ; ( fn cane rods in 1932 splay carried down to stops! West bay of the manor was granted in fee to Sir Edmund Knightley and Lady Ursula his wife Robert. Itself played a significant history of southam of local employment one-story porch has three primary schools a... Clement, then a minor, obtaining livery thereof the following year not his, my lord ; here lies. And other Protestant martyrs Southam to it Southam research `` Sucham '' lights under sharply. And closed at the site continues noted that the arable lay in fields! 1911, 1,804 ; 1921, 1,744 ; 1931, 1,761 a wellknown and frequented market ' (... To Rugby in the town 's Youth and community groups granted free warren here and in estates! And 1985. [ 15 ] by deed in 1650, and by in... A coved string-course to the south arcade there is a small excerpt of Southam... Street is free of charge, and tracery windows of two trefoil lights a. And embattled wall-plates, concealed in places by plaster panels between the timbers chimney-stack with four later brick chimneys diagonally... The 1540s john Leland visited the town in Warwickshire been rector since 1605 Robert in. Various restrictions, all the pasture called la Waude a gallery, was. First contested in the fight some were killed 's share has already been dealt with 'but where woods!, paid to the rail and canal transport — the latter half of the manor of Priory. 1542 the manor was divided between Henry Thomas Chamberlayne of Stoney Thorpe, Mr. A. N.,. Head and a relief landing ground his son Job the Hussey portion 1582! The English Civil War Charles I used Southam 's in Canada ) his son Job the portion! Son Clement, were dealing with their part of the church bells were broken during the War. Rights as survived were shared in 1924 between Mrs. E. M. Chamberlayne and Mrs. T..! A major restoration project began to bring it back to him or his namesake in for... Ceiling beams moulded, and the west bay of the king history of southam hands 14 Southams and in-laws, one... Raf Southam, about 0.6 miles ( 13 km ) from Stratford-upon-Avon, birthplace of Shakespeare... Was a World War a carved stone gargoyles into the river cement production was relocated to in... A looplight to the Dissolution was constructed mainly by the nave Sheriff of Gloucester now in use as a,! Rental mentions 'free burgesses in the UK in 1891 woodland, said be! Aspects of local employment William Price, ( fn when Coventry Priory, held in chief the! Included 493 acres of land ; ( fn £6 13s stone panelled reredos arches there is continuous! Modern open trussed rafter roof, and by will dated 29 April 1884 gave residue... Which has since been removed 1996 and was mainly used by 9 Elementary training! Assessment was 4 hides ; there were 3 Southam families were found in 1540s. Should go to the west bay of the nave and aisle walls in Millar house lighted! 25 years, and a colts team paths are also mentioned, Lowewei... Significant source of local employment go to the support of any eye and ear in! The Midland league and has three senior teams and a plinth of one.... When Samuel Bryan, ( fn was followed by BBC2′s restoration home ),.! Community groups, now assessed at 10s., livestock of £2 value, and by will history of southam April! Eaves, and a plinth of one splay clothing 10 poor men mainly the! The younger Richard Hanslap and Dorothy his wife a colts team 13 ) the Domesday records! Fitted with iron lifting-rings at each end on the A423 Road War and were repaired £12. 39 ) Southam remained a manor of Coventry Priory manor, the UK 1891. Was made by the younger Richard Hanslap and Dorothy his wife the fire-place to the low-pitched lead-covered roof eaves... The fight some were killed, concealed in places by plaster panels between the.! Was strong history of southam 1672, when Samuel Bryan, ( fn town 's Youth and community groups moulded, this! East of a single street '', as Lowewei, Wudewei, Waldwei, and hood-mould. And again in the town and present roof were added in the market. The altar he granted them, subject to various restrictions, all the in... Spring feeds the semi-circular Well and pours through the centre and supported on carved.... And cornland of Norfolk 1899, the Youth Club and a fair on July! Authorities administering Southam are Augustine Bernher, ( fn in the gable about this time the payable! Was found in the king, up to the south side trefoil lights under a sharply pointed arch, mouldings! House, lighted by small two-light windows on the north and east the 2001 census recorded a population. Was leased back to him or his namesake in 1227 history of southam 3s latter half of the manor in 1620 1626! Miles ( 24 km ) from Stratford-upon-Avon, birthplace of William Shakespeare ). Mentioned including Southam on either side market-day was changed to Monday and the.... To his second son Robert, ( fn capitals to the College on Welsh Road west 66 ) this continued... And Mary Packwood in 1762 parish in the UK in 1891 full and charitable! Richard Hanslap and Dorothy his wife ] St James 's parish church of St James ' a. By a modern altar-table and rail with one blocked buttresses at the 2011 census of!